Really interesting findings from the report and article:
- Girls read an average of 3.7 million words between kindergarten and grade 12;
- Boys read just over 3 million words on average — 23 percent less than girls;
- Since the introduction of new academic standards, nonfiction reading has increased by less than 10 percent in the majority of states;
- Nationwide, nonfiction materials represent less than one third of kids’ overall reading, despite recommendations that elementary and middle school students read 50 percent to 55 percent nonfiction, increasing to 70 percent by the end of high school;
- STEM books represent less than 10 percent of all book reading; and
- Only 19 percent of grade 12 students read books that surpass a grade 9 reading level.
Students who achieve, read. What can we do to help students read more during a school day?